Research Report

Antibiotic Resistance Profiles of Staphylococcus Aureus Isolated from Fomites in Community Schools Within Abeokuta Environs Leading to Detection of Mrsa  

Kehinde Peter Akinrotoye1 , Mobolaji Oluwafunmilayo Bankole1 , Paul Akinniyi Akinduti2 , Olabisi Adeola Lanlokun1
1 Department of Microbiology, College of Biosciences, Federal University of Agriculture, P.M.B 2240,110001, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria 2 Department of Biological Sciences, College of Science and Technology, Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria
Author    Correspondence author
Bioscience Methods, 2019, Vol. 10, No. 1   doi: 10.5376/bm.2019.09.0001
Received: 11 Apr., 2019    Accepted: 05 Jun., 2019    Published: 04 Sep., 2019
© 2019 BioPublisher Publishing Platform
This is an open access article published under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Preferred citation for this article:

Akinrotoye K.P., Bankole M.O., Akinduti P.A., and Lanlokun O.A., 2019, Antibiotic resistance profiles of Staphylococcus Aureus isolated from fomites in community schools within abeokuta environs leading to detection of mrsa, Bioscience Method, 10(1): 1-8 (doi: 10.5376/bm.2019.09.0001)

Abstract

MRSA is known to show resistance to β-lactam class of antibiotics and is among the highest superbugs posing dangerous threats to humans which cause serious infectious diseases, with extended resistance to other antibiotics making treatment ineffective. An additional challenging feature of MRSA bacteria is its rapid dissemination to human and animal through different fomites. This study aimed at determining the prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of MRSA isolated from toilets, offices and classroom door handles in community schools within Abeokuta; which might serve as a reservoir for dissemination to the general population of students and staffs within the school community. Fifteen community schools in Abeokuta environs were picked for sampling, in which 300 sample swabs were taken from the toilet; office and classroom door handles using sterile swabs stick moistened with buffered peptone water. Growth and Isolation of S. aureus were carried out using Mannitol salt agar, while antimicrobial susceptibility test was performed on the isolates to determine resistance profile to available antibiotics used while Multiple Antibiotic Resistance index (MARI) of MRSA was determined in addition to their haemolytic pattern on blood agar. The occurrence rate of Staphylococcus spp isolated from fomites is 50.60 %, while the prevalence rate of MRSA is 2.99 % as determined by antimicrobial susceptibility test. High Multiple Antibiotics Resistance index greater than 0.4 was observed in all MRSA isolates while 3 out of nine isolates showed partial α-haemolytic reaction representing 40 % and the remaining 6 representing 60 % showed γ- haemolytic reaction. The detection of MRSA in this study emphasizes the need to set up surveillance programs to monitor the spread of MRSA and formulate preventive measures to prevent the spread of MRSA amongst students and staffs hence curbing its dissemination.

Keywords
MRSA; Community Schools; Antimicrobial susceptibility; Fomites; Public Health, MARI
[Full-Text PDF] [Full-Text HTML]
Bioscience Methods
• Volume 10
View Options
. PDF(408KB)
. HTML
Associated material
. Readers' comments
Other articles by authors
. Kehinde Akinrotoye
. Mobolaji Bankole
. Paul Akinduti
. Olabisi Lanlokun
Related articles
. MRSA
. Community Schools
. Antimicrobial susceptibility
. Fomites
. Public Health, MARI
Tools
. Email to a friend
. Post a comment